Re: [LUG] GNU/Linux Promotion & Meeting

Tom Brough wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Meeting Date
>
> Sorry I havent responded to your mails on this group lately, I have
> been on a training course. I think we should try to set a meeting date
> in the half term so it will be easier on our younger members who have
> school commitments during the week.

Thinking on that point, I guess it would be good to get input from
members of the LUG who are still at school, as they'd have first hand
experience of how things work nowadays at schools.

> Promotion Event Date
>
> I dont know what other members feel but perhaps a date during the
> school holidays (Summer half term break perhaps) would give us maximum
> impact, maybe ask the schools announce it ?

Summer half term? Is that the break in May?

> Promotion Venue
>
> This depends on how big / small the event is going to be. Internet
> access would be useful, and cafe services area for tea / coffee / soft
> drinks and biscuits maybe useful.

Are there any places locally that could offer something like this at low
prices?  Just a thought, how much would Torbay Council charge to rent
out the big hall they use for their flea markets etc for a day?  Only
other issue I can think of is getting the internet access, not sure if
Torbay Council could provide some sort of proxied/firewalled access to
the net?

> Technology showcases
>
> Examples:
> Voip / Video conferencing (maybe just point to point at venue). eg
> linphone, gnomemeeting......
> OpenOffice
> Virtual Learning Environments - Moodle.
> TuxPaint
>
> Anyone got some other "must demo" free software technologies they
> would like to showcase ?
>
> Tom.

Rob