Re: [LUG] Marketing Linux and media playing

cheers folks, yes I really need my photoshop cs for my pics as I have lots of custom actions/filtrers i like to use. should be able to update my xine/kaffeine when i get my cable on thursday.
hope you all have a good christmas ....paul

On 15/12/05, Simon Robert <simon.robert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Rob Beard wrote:

>cia tech wrote:
>

>>the only thing that keeps me back to windows is photoshop cs which is
>>a must for editing my photos as I have a lovely fuji velvia action and
>>some neat sharpening actions for it.
>>

>Have you tried using The Gimp?  I've read in various places that the
>functionality is similar to Photoshop.
>
>Rob
>

>--

yup, I'd agree with that. The gimp is pretty good, though the layout is
slightly different from photoshop. Also there is digikam, which is a
great photo album app which lets you tag your pics and then sort them by
subject etc. It also has basic editing features including some useful
batch ones which will resize, rename multiple pics.

On multimedia it's a good idea to have xine/kaffeine and mplayer
installed as so many other media apps depend on the libaries they
provide. Quite a few actually use xine and/or mplayer as the engine that
powers them. I have to admit that I think kaffeine is a great piece of
software - you may not have seen its DVB capabilities as they only kick
in when the needed devices are detected. If your version doesn't have a
DVB tab then you need an upgrade. Mine is 0.7.1.

Simon

--
simon.robert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.oldhouse-cottage.co.uk