Re: [LUG] Marketing Linux and media playing

no worries Simon, Im a linux newb finding my feet so all your helpful comments were well appreciated. my cable should be fitted next thursday so I,ll have a go at updating the codecs. last time I had suse 10 on here I installed a few win32 codecs and decss from packmans site but still had some wmv that would not play and dvds as well. realplayer seemed to work well out the box and I did have some joy with quicktime as I downloaded a clip on camel spoders which streamed very nicely. enjoying playing with linux anyway as ive wanted it for ages but in the late 90s I could never get it to install. after using knoppix std security distro since 2004 I really got interested in having a permanent version. the only thing that keeps me back to windows is photoshop cs which is a must for editing my photos as I have a lovely fuji velvia action and some neat sharpening actions for it. cheers for the pointers.......paul

On 13/12/05, Simon Robert <simon.robert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
cia tech wrote:

> Hi havent been on for a few days, yes the multimedia stuff is playing
> dvd,s and windows media files on suse 10 , I should be getting cable
> broadband next week so should be able to get the fixes from the
> packman site for suse 10. I think I will have to remove kaffeine that
> came with suse and download the version from packman with the win32
> codecs. I think he also has the decss patch for playing dvd,s.  I have
> a big book on fedora coming for an xmas present so may put FC4 on my
> other computer (just inherited a 1.1 ghz celeron from my aunt who
> after dealing with windoze security woes decided she would go back to
> her typewriter)
> cheers .....happy xmas to all on the list
>

> On 09/12/05, *Rob Beard* < rob@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> <mailto:rob@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
>
>     cia tech wrote:
>
>     > Hi Rob , I used a extrnal drive (laptop drive in a caddy) its
>     usb and
>     > uaually appears on most linux systems. Ive only backed up a fat 32
>     > partition at the moment but it seems to work ok, It will be-
>     > interesting to try it on a linux partition, I made sure the
>     > destination partition was big enough I think its ok as long as
>     you do
>     > this it doesnt probably matter if its a few mb larger. I will check
>     > out the partition table info you mentioned. thanks for that. my
>     linux
>     > part is reiserfs suse 10 at the moment. should be cool if I can sort
>     > out the multimedia stuff hehe. cheers paul (newbie)
>     >
>     I'm sure you'll be fine backing up Linux partitions.  As far as I
>     know,
>     the majority of the popular filesystems are supported by Partimage.
>
>     What multimedia stuff are you trying to sort out?-
>
>     Rob
>

>     --

Hi there

dunno about removing the version of kaffeine that came with your distro,
but if it's moderately up-to-date then it's probably OK. I don't know
what auto software update software works with your distro, but if you
install the rpm's or equivilant for dvdcss and the win23codecs package
for mplayer, win32-codecs-1.6, then you should be OK. Other mplayer
codec packages should work with kaffeine/xine. There's
libaviplayavcodec, which does divx stuff, *.avi files and w32codec-all
which clashes with win32codecs, but may add a few. Also for realplayer
support in kaffeine and mplayer you need real-codecs. This lot should
all expand kaffeine's abilities, but it may be worth having
mplayer/gmplayer/kmplayer just in case kaffeine can't handle something.
The mplayer plugin for firefox seems to handle BBC realplayer stuff
slightly better than the kaffeine equivalent, but once you have this lot
installed you've got media playing capabilities only achievable in
windows by owning several different commercial packages.

My version of kaffeine is 0.7.1, which I think is up-to-date. The
important dependency is libxine, I think you need libxine1.... Also the
latest versions of xine and mplayer to run kaffeine. If you have yast or
urpmi or something similar for dealing with dependencies etc here is
were it's really worth it. If I'm attempting to teach you to suck eggs
please accept my apologies.

Simon

--
simon.robert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx