Re: [LUG] Marketing Linux and media playing

cia tech wrote:

Hi havent been on for a few days, yes the multimedia stuff is playing dvd,s and windows media files on suse 10 , I should be getting cable broadband next week so should be able to get the fixes from the packman site for suse 10. I think I will have to remove kaffeine that came with suse and download the version from packman with the win32 codecs. I think he also has the decss patch for playing dvd,s. I have a big book on fedora coming for an xmas present so may put FC4 on my other computer (just inherited a 1.1 ghz celeron from my aunt who after dealing with windoze security woes decided she would go back to her typewriter)
cheers .....happy xmas to all on the list

On 09/12/05, *Rob Beard* <rob@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:rob@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    cia tech wrote:

    > Hi Rob , I used a extrnal drive (laptop drive in a caddy) its
    usb and
    > uaually appears on most linux systems. Ive only backed up a fat 32
    > partition at the moment but it seems to work ok, It will be-
    > interesting to try it on a linux partition, I made sure the
    > destination partition was big enough I think its ok as long as
    you do
    > this it doesnt probably matter if its a few mb larger. I will check
    > out the partition table info you mentioned. thanks for that. my
    linux
    > part is reiserfs suse 10 at the moment. should be cool if I can sort
    > out the multimedia stuff hehe. cheers paul (newbie)

    I'm sure you'll be fine backing up Linux partitions.  As far as I
    know,
    the majority of the popular filesystems are supported by Partimage.

    What multimedia stuff are you trying to sort out?-

    Rob

Hi there

dunno about removing the version of kaffeine that came with your distro, but if it's moderately up-to-date then it's probably OK. I don't know what auto software update software works with your distro, but if you install the rpm's or equivilant for dvdcss and the win23codecs package for mplayer, win32-codecs-1.6, then you should be OK. Other mplayer codec packages should work with kaffeine/xine. There's libaviplayavcodec, which does divx stuff, *.avi files and w32codec-all which clashes with win32codecs, but may add a few. Also for realplayer support in kaffeine and mplayer you need real-codecs. This lot should all expand kaffeine's abilities, but it may be worth having mplayer/gmplayer/kmplayer just in case kaffeine can't handle something. The mplayer plugin for firefox seems to handle BBC realplayer stuff slightly better than the kaffeine equivalent, but once you have this lot installed you've got media playing capabilities only achievable in windows by owning several different commercial packages.

My version of kaffeine is 0.7.1, which I think is up-to-date. The important dependency is libxine, I think you need libxine1.... Also the latest versions of xine and mplayer to run kaffeine. If you have yast or urpmi or something similar for dealing with dependencies etc here is were it's really worth it. If I'm attempting to teach you to suck eggs please accept my apologies.

Simon

--
simon.robert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.oldhouse-cottage.co.