Re: [LUG] Marketing Linux

cia tech wrote:

> hi guys , thanks for the replies, ok on the backup strategy , I like
> to back up my HD using partimage on a knoppix cd, its quite good for
> backing up the dreaded windows as well as linux.
> the knoppix live cd makes an excellent little toolkit for these jobs.
> I have somuch to learn about linux. Im getting a dvd for xmas forgot
> the title just now , something OS about open source and linux, it
> looks real good,I like puter documentaries.  cheers...paul

Partimage is a handy program for backing up your hard disk.  I did find
though, that to be able to backup the hard disk you will need somewhere
for the images to go, either an external hard disk (or second hard disk)
or a network share (say samba share or nfs share).  I haven't used
PartImage in a while, so things might have changed a bit.

You'll also have to note, that although PartImage will backup your
partitions (I don't think it has the option to do a complete disk
image), it needs a copy of your partition table too to allow it to
restore the image.  There are instructions on the PartImage site on how
to do this with sfdisk.

I would be careful though when restoring any backups.  If you just want
to restore one partition, if the partition size isn't the same, it might
not restore without the partition being recreated first.  As far as I
know though, you just need to create a partion the same size as the
previous backed up partition size.

There is a handy page here
http://www.digitalissues.co.uk/html/os/misc/partimage.html which gives
you a bit more information (FAQ sort of thing) about PartImage.  It
appears that PartImage still doesn't properly support NTFS partitions
(as used by Windows NT, 2000, XP or higher).  I can't say I've tried
backing up/restoring NTFS partitions myself.  I can however confirm it
works lovely with FAT16, FAT32 and Ext2/3 partitions.

Rob