Re: [LUG] New Proud Debian Owner...

Grant Sewell wrote:

On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 19:44:06 +0000
Anton Channing wrote:

Hi all,

Success (more or less)!

[snip]

Back to the 'more or less' above. For some reason (and this happened
on my brothers PC also), the maximum resolution I can find on debians
desktop settings, is 800x600 @ 85MHz.

Can you just remind us of your hardware? And possibly post your XF86Config-4 file?

Thanks for that.  I added some extra resolutions to
the XF86Config-4 file for each depth, saved and
rebooted.  Quite proud of myself for working it all
out, whenever I tried something like this in SuSE I
never got anywhere.  Debian seems to behave the
same as all the tutorials say linux should.  Stumbled
a couple of times, but I worked out why.  First time
I was editing it in Kate, without permission, so
opened a root terminal and braved vi...

...got a quick tutorial on it from a website and learned
enough to save my changes.

Thanks to everyone else who gave me suggestions,
including checking the BIOS.  I looked in the BIOS
and could see nothing obvious.  AGP was mentioned
on a few settings, but I couldn't tell if meant the onboard
chip or the AGP port.

In any case, editting the XF86Config-4 file did the
trick.  So that was pretty damn easy!  Now to go do
the same thing on my brothers machine!  It says my
graphics card is 'Generic', but it works so I don't
really care.  I expect it means I may have problems
trying to run 3d software like games?  Not something
I do much...

Anton