Re: [LUG] Education techniques?

Julian Hall wrote:

As Neil so correctly pointed out a lot of effort goes into "it just works". On this list, I would assume that by subscribing, there is a general desire to know more about *how*. Unfortunately, the converse is likely to be true also. Those who haven't subscribed would, IMHO, fall into a couple of categories:

1. Those who don't need help. Self-taught. In a way they are missing the point of the Linux community, because if they can get into Linux without help then they would be a valuable resource to those of us who need hep occasionally.

2. Those who know someone who can help them. Again missing the boat in terms of the Linux community.

It occurs to me that many people want to use Linux
without being part of the Linux community.  That is
their choice.  I don't see it as a problem.  If they
aren't interested, then they aren't interested. Being
part of a community takes time, and is a commitment.
Some people are already over committed elsewhere,
in other communities.

Not everyone who uses linux should need to be part
of the linux community, because that in itself would
be off putting to a lot of people.  Not necessarilly
because they aren't interested, or couldn't contribute,
but because they simply don't have time for it.

For example, my girlfriend has a machine (actually
technically its my machine that I've leant to her, but
it may as well be hers), and it dual boots windows
98 and SuSE 8.1.  She has learned to like Linux
for her email, and some of her web browsing, but
still does pretty much everything else in windows.
She has no interest in taking part in LUG whatsoever,
and I'm not sure she would benefit from it anyway.
She would find far too much of the messages too
technical and of no interest, and would likely switch
off very quickly.  Even to messages she might learn
from.  Still, considering she was a complete
technophobe back in 2000 when I met her, I think
she has progressed quite well.

I think a user such as herself would benefit more from
a kind of web forum type approach, where there
were sections where newbies could go for help and
advice without having to wade through technical
messages, or messages about whether to change our
name etc.

Anton

Time is a precious resource, and it is not for us to
judge how others spend theirs.

.Anton