Re: [LUG] DVD Player

On Sun, Jan 02, 2005 at 17:51:47, Grant Sewell wrote:
There is also the mighty MPlayer.  It too has a GUI.  It doesn't
appear to be part of any Debian Sid sources, but it's *really* easy
to compile by hand.  I would recommend you get "checkinstall" whilst
you're at it (makes + installs .deb files from source).  If you get
the Win32 codecs then you can play pretty much *anything*.  It even
handles encrypted DVDs without using DeCSS... I think what it does
is the first type you play a disc it generates a hash to identify
*that* disc, it then does some serious number crunching to establish
how to decode it and stores the two together.  Next time you insert
*that* disc it just re-reads the hash and viola it'll play the movie
nicely.  It's also an absolutely fantastic command-line player - so
many options!

As far as I know, MPlayer isn't free.  However, I have this in my sources.list:
deb ftp://ftp.nerim.net/debian-marillat/ unstable main
which has MPlayer all nicely packaged for download.

--
-Benjamin A'Lee

Termisoc Secretary: http://www.termisoc.org/
Home Page: http://benalee.co.uk/