Re: [LUG] DVD Player

On Sun, 2 Jan 2005 17:40:00 +0000
Richard Brown wrote:

Software - movies rather than roms!

Rich

On 2 Jan 2005, at 17:28, Terence McCarthy wrote:

Quite a lot of people rave about Xine, and I must admit, if you're used to
"PowerDVD" style software, then Xine has a very nice feel to it.  Pretty much all
configuration can be done GUIwise (it even has an option to restrict what you
can/can't change depending on your expertise - Beginner, Advanced, Expert, Master of
the known universe), but some of the options can be a little confusing.  If you
haven't got DeCSS then don't even think about playing anything other than
unencrypted discs... which are (from what I understand) quite rare.

There is also the mighty MPlayer.  It too has a GUI.  It doesn't appear to be part
of any Debian Sid sources, but it's *really* easy to compile by hand.  I would
recommend you get "checkinstall" whilst you're at it (makes + installs .deb files
from source).  If you get the Win32 codecs then you can play pretty much *anything*.
It even handles encrypted DVDs without using DeCSS... I think what it does is the
first type you play a disc it generates a hash to identify *that* disc, it then does
some serious number crunching to establish how to decode it and stores the two
together.  Next time you insert *that* disc it just re-reads the hash and viola
it'll play the movie nicely.  It's also an absolutely fantastic command-line player
- so many options!

You can probably guess which is my favourite!

Grant.
--
Artificial intelligence is no match for nuratal stidutipy.