Re: [LUG] Migrating to Linux

I'm still playing around with Mandrake, and so far so good.

One thing I never have understood properly is...

Where am I supposed to put applications?  Windows is easy with it's
'Program Files' folder, but on Linux, I never know where the right place
to put things are?

I've got Mozilla Thunderbird on a Linux Magazine cover CD, its a
slightly older version but it saves me a download for now.  The file is
a tar.gz file, and when I open it I get a folder with a load of files
in, but no obvious installation script.

Could anyone suggest a good place to copy the files to?

Rob

Anyway, I installed Mandrake 10.1 last night, seems to install okay
although it was missing Firefox and Thunderbird by the looks of things,
but I think I have them on DVD somewhere (I knew there was a good reason
to buy Linux Format for the past 5 months!).

Rob