Re: [LUG] Migrating to Linux

On Friday 26 November 2004 21:58, Neil Williams wrote:
On Friday 26 November 2004 6:57 pm, Rob Beard wrote:

read my mail, browse t'internet and chat on Yahoo & MSN.

MSN is a moving target - they have been known to change their protocols to
exclude standard-compliant chat clients (gee, why's that a surprise?). Don't
chat enough to know anything about Yahoo chat.

Yahoo is no problem, I use it daily with Kopete and MSN should be no problem
as well. Yes they all keep changing their protocol but if you go for a well
supported package based linux distro then updating is simple anyway. If you
want webcam support then that is slightly more tricky. A fork of gaim, gaimvv
if offering webcam support but it is still developmental. As a side note
Kopete and gaim (and others) support logging in to multiple networks like
yahoo and kopete at the same time, so you only need one IM client running.

email and surfing will work 100% - if you really want Flash, Java and other
fripperies, ask someone else - I prefer to browse the www in a text browser
like Lynx.

Firefox! its netscape but nicer! it rocks, and flash, realplayer are avaiable,
also knoqueror supports many netscape plugins and i like konqueror.

DVD Shrink should be no problem, linux has truly amazing transcoding tools,
sometimes too powerful for there own good. I can see no reason why you cant
do what DVD shrink does in linux, it may require a couple of descrite tools
but the end results are possible. I don't believe there is a single graphical
tool like DVD Shrink but once you get use to command line tools they rock
anyway.

--

Robin Cornelius
robin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx