Re: [LUG] Migrating to Linux

Firefox! its netscape but nicer! it rocks, and flash, realplayer are avaiable, also knoqueror supports many netscape plugins and i like konqueror.

DVD Shrink should be no problem, linux has truly amazing transcoding tools, sometimes too powerful for there own good. I can see no reason why you cant do what DVD shrink does in linux, it may require a couple of descrite tools but the end results are possible. I don't believe there is a single graphical tool like DVD Shrink but once you get use to command line tools they rock anyway.

I use Firefox on Windows XP at the moment, have been for about 6 months now and I much prefer it, at least if it ever crashes (which I think has only happened once) it doesn't screw everything else up. I also use Thunderbird for my mail which seems to work happily and is much less bloated than Outlook.

I might have a look at the running DVD Shrink in Wine option, I did try it before when I installed 64-bit Fedora but I just couldn't get it going, I guess I'll have to be patient and have a fiddle about with it.

Anyway, I installed Mandrake 10.1 last night, seems to install okay although it was missing Firefox and Thunderbird by the looks of things, but I think I have them on DVD somewhere (I knew there was a good reason to buy Linux Format for the past 5 months!).

Rob

-- No virus found in this outgoing message. Checked by AVG Anti-Virus. Version: 7.0.289 / Virus Database: 265.4.3 - Release Date: 26/11/2004