Re: [LUG] Migrating to Linux

On Friday 26 November 2004 6:57 pm, Rob Beard wrote:
Now the main programs I do use on my PC that I can't seem to find
alternatives for seem to be DVD Shrink and my Sony NET MD drivers &
software.

DVD players can be very personal choices. You should explain what it is about
DVD Shrink that makes it your choice, then someone can offer an alternative
from the 8 or so available for GNU/Linux.

I've no idea on the minidisk thing - is it USB? Probably be seen as simple USB
storage device and mounted as if it was a USB stick. It becomes part of the
filesystem whilst it's mounted and any application can read/write to it.

read my mail, browse t'internet and chat on Yahoo & MSN.

MSN is a moving target - they have been known to change their protocols to
exclude standard-compliant chat clients (gee, why's that a surprise?). Don't
chat enough to know anything about Yahoo chat.

email and surfing will work 100% - if you really want Flash, Java and other
fripperies, ask someone else - I prefer to browse the www in a text browser
like Lynx.

(Honest)

--

Neil Williams