Re: [LUG] Migrating to Linux

On Saturday 27 November 2004 10:05 am, Rob Beard wrote:
Neil Williams wrote:
DVD players can be very personal choices. You should explain what it is
about DVD Shrink that makes it your choice, then someone can offer an
alternative from the 8 or so available for GNU/Linux.

I've no idea on the minidisk thing - is it USB? Probably be seen as simple
USB storage device and mounted as if it was a USB stick. It becomes part
of the filesystem whilst it's mounted and any application can read/write
to it.

The Minidisc recorder I have doesn't act as a mass storage device
unfortanately.

Have you tried it? GNU/Linux can make a mass storage device out of most USB
peripherals, no matter what the manufacturer might claim.

They are strange beasts.  As far as I know, the Sony
software converts MP3's etc into a special OMG (OpenMG) format file

Proprietary? It's confusing when they use the term Open - check on SourceForge
and Google for other ways of writing OMG and to minidisk.

which is encoded in ATRAC3 which the Minidisc understands.  I think the
only data that goes down the USB cable to the Minidisc is the music
files and commands to control the unit.

That's all that is needed to mount it as a mass storage unit over USB!

The kernel and USB software does all the hard work, the device just gets a
data stream.

I think maybe I might have to keep Windows a bit longer or invest in a
stand alone Minidisc recorder after christmas, but thats no big deal, I
dont like the software anyway the Minidisc recording wastes the
batteries on the thing.

Take a look in places like Maplins and see if they can provide a PC based
minidisk recorder or other alternatives.

--

Neil Williams