Re: [LUG] Migrating to Linux

Neil Williams wrote:

DVD players can be very personal choices. You should explain what it is about DVD Shrink that makes it your choice, then someone can offer an alternative from the 8 or so available for GNU/Linux.

I've no idea on the minidisk thing - is it USB? Probably be seen as simple USB storage device and mounted as if it was a USB stick. It becomes part of the filesystem whilst it's mounted and any application can read/write to it.

The Minidisc recorder I have doesn't act as a mass storage device unfortanately. They are strange beasts. As far as I know, the Sony software converts MP3's etc into a special OMG (OpenMG) format file which is encoded in ATRAC3 which the Minidisc understands. I think the only data that goes down the USB cable to the Minidisc is the music files and commands to control the unit.

I think maybe I might have to keep Windows a bit longer or invest in a stand alone Minidisc recorder after christmas, but thats no big deal, I dont like the software anyway the Minidisc recording wastes the batteries on the thing.

Rob