Re: [LUG] DATABASE FOR LINUX

On Sun, 7 Nov 2004 12:52:21 +0000
Mark Mitchell <m.l.mitchell@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Sat, 6 Nov 2004 12:20:01 +0000, Neil Winchurst
<neil@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Paradox was a database from Borland. It was originally a DOS based
program and then was re-written for Windows. Eventually Borland sold
Paradox to Corel who, as far as I know, still provide it as part of Word
Perfect Office. Unfortunately it was not very well known.

IMHO Paradox was a great database program, far superior to Access.
It was easy to create databases with and I made a lot of money writing
databases for small companies when I was still living in Bristol.

Access uses visual basic as its program for developers. As I understand
it VB is a general purpose language. Paradox has its own language called
PAL (Paradox Application Language) which is easy to learn. The advantage
to this for me is that PAL was written especially to be a database
language and not as a general purpose one. This made it perfect for
database work.

There is still nothing in Linux to even come near Paradox as far as I am
concerned. If Paradox could only be re-written for Linux, wow. That
would be perfect.

Neil Winchurst

There is no equivalent to Access or Paradox available on Linux.
There are databases, of course, but they have two big problems. One,
they are based on SQL, which I do not like at all.

Access is SQL based - or at least based on the MS version of same.
Don't know about Paradox however (never heard of it).

Regards,

Mark