[LUG] GNOME for KDE diehard

The time has come to switch to Gnome for various very sound reasons.
But in particular it is being planned as the preferred Desktop for
UserLinux.

Under Debian testing I have GDM, and GNOME up and running.

I've customised it, so all the vital time wasting is now one click
away (i.e. GNU Chess in Xboard, and the Free Internet Chess Server
in Xboard, SCID - Shane's Chess Database app).

Just found "gnome-utils", so I now have a "Kdict" substitute on my
tool bar, even if it doesn't appear to lookup the word in the X clip
board so it is one extra middle mouse button click to look something
up. Oh and with my giant fonts the Gnome dict applet looks ugly as
well till I shrink the bar by 4 points.

I've lots of other new and fun panel apps, but a few things aren't
obvious. Before I waste too much time figuring them out, I thought
I'd ask....

Q1) I think I inherited some of my KDE menus - what the the GNOME menu editor called. i.e. How do I remove the "KDE Help" menu item.

Q2) The Debian menus seem to have a few GNOME applications well
buried that probably ought to be at the top - some GNOME fanactic
couldn't send me a screen shot (I like the screen-shot applet) of
the basic menus, and any tips on what Debian package might be
missing in this regard.

Q3) I have a couple of applications (Guarddog for one) that I want
to lauch as root (including perhaps the GNOME log viewer). KDE makes
this easy, as it just knows about them (deep voodoo) and prompts for
the root password when I click the relevant Icon. Under GNOME I am
going to have to tell it what user I suspect, do I use "GTsu" for
this or some other similar tool. Can I make an icon with the
application name (and Path of course) included so it is one click
and the root password away? (Without using scripts, or creating more
SUID bits, this is a GUI after all)

Q4) Editing lauchers doesn't let me edit the name of the program
executed. I found the place where you can choose what is displayed
on the properties dialogue once, but can't remember where I found it.

Q5) What is needed to allow more than XML data sources in the GNOME
data source applet? i.e. I assume I should be able to specify
Postgres here as a data source? Looks like a missing package.

Q6) One I ought to know an answer to - but whilst the weather applet
tells me the current(ish) weather in Exeter (saves turning my head
90 degree left, plus moving curtain as required), "Forecast" just
says "Met Office Forecast" surely some mistake?!?

I'm sure I'll have a million other GNOME related questions...