Re: [LUG] Plymouth Uni Portal, Student Access & Wreaking Linux...

On 16 Mar 2004 11:17:55 +0000
John Horne <J.Horne@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Not sure why you say that or on what basis even? The supply of desktop
pc's went through the usual tender process. As far as I remember it came
down to 3 companies - RM got the contract.

RM used to put their own restrictions on machines- I once was involved with a school
that had no end of trouble because of the way in which the RM computers were set up
on delivery, with all the RM add-ins (or it may have been lock-ins!).

As you have loaded Linux you should have no problems, and perhaps RM are just
providing basic boxes now, so changing it back to Windows wouldn't be a problem
either. Mind you, if RM provide re-install disks for windows I wouldn't bet on it.
The reinstall may depend on one or more non-dos partitions being there.........

(BTW did you check, using fdisk, what partitions were on the drive before you
installed Linux? I've just repartitioned a company laptop -to give me room for
Linux, -and found two unexplained non-Dos partitions before the the manufacturer
installed Windows partition. RM, IIRC, used to do similarly).

Terence