Re: [LUG] Plymouth Uni Portal, Student Access & Wreaking Linux...

On Sun, 2004-03-14 at 23:26, Terence McCarthy wrote:

I expect the Linux people there are really p---ed off with the public
image the Uni has with it's site, and the problems it has.

YES!! The only good thing is that I am asked to provide more and more
services on linux/unix boxes because of problems with windows.

I've sent the webproj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx people an e-mail asking if they
could ensure access for all W3C browsers, but with what you say, I
won't hold my breath.

Good. I work opposite those guys and I know they test web stuff with
opera and mozilla; probably not lynx though. However they do not run the
portal servers - that is the apps team.

I'm amazed that RM and others can get away with it these days- it
shows that even those with responsibility for purchasing aren't
computer-savvy. Worrying isn't it?

Not sure why you say that or on what basis even? The supply of desktop
pc's went through the usual tender process. As far as I remember it came
down to 3 companies - RM got the contract. There were technical
presentations by all those invited to tender and IT staff were invited
to go along. Okay I admit that I didn't - but these things are
invariably MS orientated since windows is the required desktop client.
Having said that I had already installed redhat 9 directly onto one of
the RM pc's with no problem, so I was happy that they would work with
linux (from my point of view because I use redhat). Actually the
monitors are not corectly recognised but I usually swap them out for
older 17" ones anyway. Don't forget that this is for the 'desktop', not
for 'servers' which provide things such as the portals.

John.