Re: [LUG] Plymouth Uni Portal, Student Access & Wreaking Linux...

Terence McCarthy wrote:

On Sun, 14 Mar 2004 21:09:43 +0000
Neil Williams <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Use Lynx!!!

The only time I've had problems with multiple GUI browsers is because of some massive image that the site expects the browser to scale, instead of being scaled in the first place.

Thanks, Neil, if this is the case, I'd hope someone there would have the sense to try and sort the site out.

It's bloody sad that a uni site should be so poor, particularly with a computer department.....

I tried Lynx on the portal and I get authorisation failures, even when using -auth=user:pass. But it seems to work O.K. from Mozilla 1.0.

OT whinging:
I think part of the network is managed by an external body. I was really mad when I discovered that they had changed the IP address of my machine and others, they didn't even give any prior warning of the change. I work from home a lot of the time and use SSH to connect to my number crunchers there, I couldn't log in to them.

If that wasn't bad enough, they failed to update the DNS entries, and hostnames were pointing to the old IP addresses.

And then there's the problems with the security patch updates on the routers taking much longer than expected.

There was speculation that they would charge research groups £1000 per network socket, now where did I put that old modem...

Recently I can't access the POP server from home to read my email so I am forced to use some Microsoft Web Access thing that increases the network traffic ten fold.

OT (even more so): The new desktop roll out:
New PCs are not owned by the University, they are provided externally, they are RM machines. These new PCs are audited via the network and can be rebooted remotely. One of my colleagues has one of these new PCs and had it rebooted during a critical number crunching application, he can't install Linux as this would break the rules and the auditing. He now has a seperate box running Linux and the new PC is not used, its left on and consuming power keeping the auditors happy!

PCs cannot be purchased, except from RM. And I bet RM know it - looking at the prices!

Don't think though that the University is driving out Linux, it has many labs with Linux PCs which I only found out about a few days ago.

The technicians are a good bunch of people who, I'm sure, are just as fed up of the situation as I am.

Regards
Andrew