Re: [LUG] Exeter College - Course modules

Adrian Midgley wrote:

Much as I like Paul's list of topics, let me suggest that the curriculum of a Linux course should actually be the curriculum of the European Computer Driving Licence.

I think that there are far too many courses already doing the "office
suite" thing. A linux course should be for introducing new users to the
world of linux. Here is a list of what I think would be good to cover:

Course Aims:
To introduce Linux to Windows users.
To encourage understanding and use of Linux.

Course Material:
- What is an OS
    - What does an OS do
    - The Kernel
    - GNU Project

- GPL and its implications
    - Open Source
    - Copying
    - Participation in Linux Community (perhaps a guest speaker from
local LUG?)

- Concept of Linux Distributions
    - What is a distro
    - a discussion of strong/weak points of different distros
    - trying out different distros

- Partitioning, Dual Boot and Installing Linux
    - Basic concept of partitions
    - Boot loaders

- Unfamiliar things to windows people
    - Who is root?
    - Multiple User accounts
    - Groups

- File system structure
    - Main layout (which directories contain what)
    - Everything is a file
    - File Permissions
    - Links

- KDE/GNOME Intro
    - Shattering the "user-unfriendlyness" myth
    - A short demo of office, internet & email

- Command Line
    - Intro to command line
    - The man pages & info
    - Common Commands