Re: [LUG] Exeter College - Course modules

On Fri, 2003-09-05 at 19:51, Adrian Midgley wrote:
> Much as I like Paul's list of topics, let me suggest that the curriculum
> of a Linux course should actually be the curriculum of the European
> Computer Driving Licence.
>
> Naming of parts ...
> Processing of words...
> Spreading of Sheets...
> Sliding of Presentations...
> Counting of money...
>
> emailing and looking things up on he web.
>
> After that, or during that, the ixian features can be slipped in, such
> that if the consumer finds themselves offered an environment which does
> not offer them, either they will just get on with it, or they will regard
> the new environment as somewhat lacking.
I think it rather depends on the target audience.

The more technically minded would want to start from the ground up, in
which case Paul's ideas would hold sway. Down here in deepest Newquay we
are already putting together courses that will lead down this technical
avenue.

However,  most *users* don't care about OSs and Adrian's suggestion has
much merit. So later we'll add on the end-user courses working towards
ECDL or CLAIT Plus or similar using a range of Linux-based applications.

--
Mike Callaghan
Cornwall