Re: [LUG] Exeter College - Course modules

On Saturday 06 Sep 2003 11:04 pm, Gemma Peter wrote:
> world of linux. Here is a list of what I think would be good to cover:
> Course Material:
> - What is an OS
>      - What does an OS do
>      - The Kernel
>      - GNU Project
>
> - GPL and its implications
>      - Open Source
>      - Copying

No time like the present. Anyone who is prepared to put some of these
materials together is welcome to use the Wiki to do it.
http://www.dclug.org.uk/wiki/

These topics are ideal for general education outside the local area - there
are sites that already cover most of these topics so perhaps a summary and/or
a quotation would be all that is needed. Doing it online makes more material
available for everyone to benefit.

Plus it means that any location with an internet connection can use the course
material - a good example of how the Linux community really works.

Don't leave it to one person to prepare, if you have ideas or advice in any of
these areas, put it on the Wiki. The more people that get involved, the
better the results and the beauty of the Wiki is that structure and
presentation can be adjusted later, just get the content in and let the rest
sort itself out later.

> - KDE/GNOME Intro
>      - Shattering the "user-unfriendlyness" myth
>      - A short demo of office, internet & email

Then we can put together meetings in various locations including educational,
corporate, private, whatever and do the practical stuff with the rest of the
material online.

There are loads of newbie Linux type sites out there and they all cover these
kinds of areas. To make the best of what the rest of the community has
already published just needs some googling.

--

Neil Williams