[LUG] Re: Education: a link to an implementation story

http://www.thejournal.com/magazine/vault/A4499.cfm

Brough, Tom wrote:

> I have noticed that we dont have anything in our (d&clug) web site
> mission statement that specifically says anything about supporting
> educational establishments in their efforts to convert / migrate /
> integrate linux into their IT infrastructure.

Commenting on such stories as these, and in particular pointing out that
there is available expertise locally to support them is worthwhile.

Two of the problems organisations and individuals face when they want to
get away from their existing systems are firstly not knowing the
alternative exists; and secondly not knowing where to find the people and
companies that they need to actually do it.

Members of the list will commonly have done it themselves, and enjoyed it,
but most people trying to do their work better will want, and pay for,
proper support.

The first is being tackled by the likes of IBM, but on a local level we an
help.

The second is where the need for organisational efforts not quite the same
as previous business arrangements, in the same way that Linux development
is not the same as previous OS', is apparent.
Some way of scaling involvement is desirable.
--
From the Linux desktops of Dr Adrian Midgley
http://www.defoam.net/