Re: [LUG] No decent WYSIWYG editor for Web; Use a content management system

On Saturday 03 May 2003 11:32 pm, Rick Timmis wrote:
> I have listened to the comments posted and have started work on recoding
> the site with a view to improve standards compliance.

Great news.

> Now here's the moan...
>
> Surely the general wish of the group is to promote the use of Linux and
> OS in many arena's and to grow the Open Source community by getting more
> users and developers. Whilst much of the criticism is valid and also
> welcome I find it hard to swallow that many have not grasped the larger
> concept.
> Perhaps if those who are so passionate and energetic in there pursuit of
> demonstrating where our site is failing, where to devote some of that
> passion and energy to helping us to improve it. Then surely this would
> benefit everyone.

I agree - I just wish I had the time. I was thinking of adding this to my
previous email but I thought it was already long enough.
:-)

I said that coding like this is not a one-off job and the last time I agreed
to devote some of my passion and energy to improve a site was the Exeter
Install Fest in 2001. And the site? www.dclug.org.uk My point? It still takes
a significant portion of time! I don't regret a moment of it and have plenty
more to do on it. It's just that I really can't take on another one. Sorry!

> No doubt this comment will be viewed with contempt and mistrust and I
> will be shot downq as attempting to recruit free labour, and of spouting
> Sales BS.

Only partially.
:-))

Nothing wrong with free labour in a free software environment but it does
require volunteers and those who volunteer do need the time to give.

> The site will have to stay as is until the recoding is done. This will
> take some time. We are stepping out into a competitive market place
> where the odds are already stacked against us. It would be great to see
> the LUG offering us support and encouragement.

Always and constant. I just can't do the detailed work myself.

--

Neil Williams

http://www.wewantbroadband.co.uk/