Re: [LUG] Heist ad: IBM, Linux, and audio from MPEG 1

On Thursday 03 January 2002 1:36 pm, Adrian Midgley wrote:
I got audio + video from kde media player (Noatun), no problems.
Nice ad! Very IBM.  My environment - Noatun 1.2.0, KDE 2.2.2, Qt
2.3.1

OK, its me.
Where should I look first?  I'm new to the multimedia stuff on any
platform. DO you have a list of codecs you have that I could seek to
compare?

er codecs??  nope, I have to admit here that I am not an AV hacker,
I'm just glad if it all works.  I had a lot of problems with sound in
slightly earlier versions of KDE and SuSE 7.2.  I am afraid that the
only thing I can suggest is to make sure you have checked the really
simple stuff, that other sound sources are finding the way to your
speakers, that the mixer volume controls are ok (including the hidden
one on Noatun), before diving into audio and video codecs (and the
libraries needed to process them).

Trying to get away from KDE, I fired up Gnome and played the clip with
Gtv - it worked - it also gave me some information about the clip
which I include here just in case it is of any use:

Filename: heist60.mpeg
Stream: system
Video: 352x240 resolution
Audio: MPEG-1 Layer 2 96kbit/s 32000Hz stereo
Size: 5303308
Time 0:01:00