Re: [LUG] Databases

> On 18/06/06, Simon Waters <simon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Neil Winchurst wrote:

>> MySQL
>> >>
>> > Since I am going to try knoda as a front end and it will
>> > connect to mysql or postgresql, among others, I don't really mind
>> which
>> > I choose. I am very happy to be convinced either way. Would you
>> > recommend postgreql over mysql?
>>
>> Generally yes, I prefer working with Postgres, the syntax is simpler,
>> and it tends to "do the right thing" by default. The only exception
>> being the default security settings (which the Debian packagers sort
>> when they create their package).
>
> As much as I use postgres for serious projects, I'd guess that you'd
> find MySQL better suited to your needs -- Postgres still offers a few
> "proper RDBMS system" features that MySQL doesn't but I don't think
> you will need them.

Outer Joins? - even Access has these.

> Also MySQL is far more user friendly and more likely to DWIM whereas
> Postgres sticks very strictly to DTRT often making things harder than
> they need to be.

How?

> Postgres is also harder to administer and maintain and requires
> add-ons to provide important stuff like replication, full text
> searching, etc.

please see http://sql-info.de/mysql/gotchas.html for examples of where
MySQL does the "WRONG" thing without informing the user.

Can you please give examples of how pg is harder to maintain.

> The MySQL Query Browser and Admin tools (available from the mysql
> website) not only look good but give anything but Toad/Tora a good
> kicking - postgres has nothing close to them.
>
> Cheers,

off the top my head pgaccess/pgadmin/Base do anything I would want from a GUI