Re: [LUG] Databases

On Sun, 18 Jun 2006 12:35:33 +0100
Simon Waters <simon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> But the reason people used the Access database (JetDB) with Access was
> not that it was good, but that real databases were expensive and
> required a lot of management. Once you take away those barriers of
> price, and tuning, when proper databases "just work" then why bother?

Perhaps part of my problem is that I find working with a database that
has no GUI is unutterably tedious. I cannot believe that anyone uses, eg
mysql, all the time in a CLI. I know that there are separate front end
programs to provide a GUI, I suppose I expect a program that was built
from scratch to contain everything will be superior. A separate GUI,
to my mind, written by someone who did not have anything to do with
creating the database originally, has to be some sort of compromise. I
am ready to learn otherwise.

> Probably SQLite is closest, and many things have embedded it.
>
> But I think you mix up what is "bundled together" with what is a
> software project. The JetDB project had a life independent of Microsoft
> Access, yet you'd probably regard them as one product.
>
> Most of the free software stuff has sought database independence, which
> means the Perl hackers here really don't care if it is Postgres, SQLite,
> or MySQL (at least most of the time when they are coding), and will
> choose the database to fit the scale of the client and the task.

Are you saying then that we will never see the equivalent of Paradox in
Linux? I didn't like Access at all, but I thought that the database
engine in Paradox was very good. Anyway I will see how I get on with
knoda connected to whatever.

Thanks for the comments

Neil Winchurst