Re: [LUG] Databases

On Sun, 18 Jun 2006 17:28:16 +0100
Simon Waters <simon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> There are interfaces for managing MySQL (I much prefer Postgres to MySQL
> and would want a good reason to choose MySQL for a task).

Since I am going to try knoda as a front end and it will
connect to mysql or postgresql, among others, I don't really mind which
I choose. I am very happy to be convinced either way. Would you
recommend postgreql over mysql?

> You still haven't said what you like about Paradox.

At the time I was creating databases for small companies. The people
concerned would have gone into hysterics if I had suggested anything
other than a GUI for them to use. So I chose a database which I knew
well from DOS days. I did like the programming language behind it which
was created purely for use with a database, possibly because I could
make it sing and dance a bit. I also liked the query by example that
was included, and the search facilities were great.

Remember this was some years ago so the choice was smaller then. Also
remember that I am talking about simple, small databases for small
companies. Anyway, I was quite successful and never had any problems.

Of course times have moved on. I must accept that. Since I am just
looking to be able to create similar small, simple databases I must use
what is around now. Which is why I am asking so many questions.

I really am grateful for the time you are taking to help me, and I am
more than happy to be advised by you.

Thanks

Neil Winchurst