Re: [LUG] Mesh Wifi

Hey,

On Mon, May 31, 2021, at 7:54 AM, Henry Bremridge wrote:
> On Sun, May 30, 2021 at 06:53:13PM +0100, dom rodriguez (shymega) wrote:
>
> >    We have a mesh network, and it's been a right pain in the arse. Linksys
> >    Velop. It drops out frequently, and the app is pretty crap - it takes ages
> >    to load a simple settings menu, and offers very little control over the
> >    network - I think that's expected with consumer-grade networking though.
> >    We used to have a Powerline network as well, which was alright, but also
> >    dropped out; we don't seem to have much luck!
> >    I'm looking into Ethernet cabling, but we're not sure how destructive
> >    it'll be. As mewoski says, UnIFi is good. I did set up a TP-Link Omada AP,
> >    but the wiring was a mess (gotta love limited space... NAS server, switch
> >    etc), and it worked pretty well. The main issue was coverage upstairs.
> >    In terms of a guest subnet, the Velop does - apparently - have a 'Guest
> >    Network', but as I've set it up in Bridge mode, as to avoid DHCP being
> >    taken over.. which did happen as soon as I set it up, I do have my doubts
> >    on the isolation of guest clients.
> >    Wireless TV-wise - does it have an ethernet port? I'd take a look at that
> >    first. Or is it a 'stick'? We have NOW TV, and the sticks have no
> >    ethernet, and there's no adapter available that works, either. Some sticks
> >    do have ethernet support via an adapter though.
> >    Regarding telephone calls: do you mean a DECT handset or VoIP?
>
> Thank you very helpful

No worries.

> 1.    TV awkward spot to add cable, although may have to do so at some point

Even if the cable isn't wired into the walls, but merely a long length of cabling to
the TV from your router to test the speed would be a good starting point. Pinpoint
the cause, etc etc.

> 2.    I use VOIP on my android which works well (home phone, business
>       phone), through a aeropex bluetooth headset
>       (https://aftershokz.co.uk/) I can be on the phone for 2-3 hours
>       and these normally work well. In addition I have gotten rid of a
>       telephone from my desk.
>
>       I use the same headset for Zoom and conferences (just normal
>       bluetooth) from my desktop.
>
>       Moving around sometimes breaks the wifi link and if I move around
>       the house (eg answering the door bell while on a conference call),
>       the call can break hence my need for a stronger consistent wifi
>       signal.
>
>       Irritatingly and seemingly at random my phone picks up my other
>       wifi signal rather the closer stronger one

OK, so this headset sounds like it's Bluetooth. Bluetooth certainly has a range
limitation, and I note this with my earbuds when I move from my bedroom to another
room, it's really noticeable. It's not clear if your issue is WiFi from your
transmitter Bluetooth device or just the Bluetooth range. I suspect the latter. I
may well have misinterpreted what you mean - could you correct me if I've gotten
this wrong?

As to Eion's suggestion, would recommend doing the ethernet test too, and the theory
about the Faraday cage is an excellent point. For example, a Velop node that was in
my room, next to my guinea pigs cage tended to lose signal without any break,,
leading me to the conclusion that the metal in the cage acted as some sort of
interference. Although, it still happens on the landing. So I'm not sure, but still
a good point on Eion'sbehalf!

Cheers.

--
Kind regards,