Re: [LUG] Mesh Wifi

On 31/05/2021 11:27, Henry Bremridge wrote:
On Mon, May 31, 2021 at 10:36:54AM +0100, Eion MacDonald wrote:

The metallic coated polystyrene acts as a Faraday cage (hence isolation
of the two sides )  and as a 'reflector' for some signals. Thus odd
signal strengths from different WiFi signals. This is a random unknown
and unpredictable reflection.

I would suggest you take a Ethernet cable from router over and through
the stairwell and establish another access point on the far side.

This is the current configuration, the problem is moving across the
stairwell the wifi signal switches from one AP to the other AP (same
network name, username / pw). The android phones take time to connect
to the other AP. This reconnection is not straightforward, more often
than not, requires turning off the phone wife. Leaving it a few
minutes and then turning again

Hence my original thought was Mesh, after posting (thank you) I have a
few more solutions

-       Have one AP in the stair well, rather than one either side. The
        signal strength may just be high enough. This may require getting
        a new AP.

        Currently use Draytek 2820 wifi /router and draytek AP 810.

-       May be accepting the problems with the wifi reflection, have two
        network names and then switch manually from one to the other. This
        is effectively what we have at the moment but by enforcing it we
        might have more control.

-       Make sure both AP are on the same switch.

-       Think a bit longer and a bit harder.

Unifi is indeed the answer to all your problems - by my standards your environment seems like a completely normal and undemanding one (I've never been to a site that doesn't have some kind of issue or minor problem with placements, signal penetration, etc - well, apart from setting up in literal fields sometimes for events).

The entire process if I was doing it for you would look like this:

1: Setup wired Unifi nanoHD in central position in stairwell
2: Disable all other Draytek AP and functionality except routing
3: Add RPI3 or 4 to run local Unifi controller software (no cloud stuff)
4: Optionally, shift all network management stuff - DHCP, etc - to the RPI as well

Once in leave to settle and test for a couple of days to see how it works out. If necessary, move from a single AP central in the stairwell to 2 x APs on each side of the property instead in better positions. I would actually recommend doing this from the start - there is nothing sadder than people half-arsing wifi connectivity for the sake of a few quid and then putting up with rubbish internet for years. Spend the money for god's sake, wifi is way too critical to bodge cheap fixes when you're already at the point of replacing infrastructure. If you're going to do these things do them properly in the first place.

To directly answer other issues you've mentioned: multiple Unifi APs will of course hand off to each other seamlessly unlike your current arrangement. Obviously, this is a basic feature. They also support client steering so you can guide endpoints to 2.4 or 5GHz, etc. VLANs, multiple network names and access controlled guest networks are all supported (again, obviously). There is way, way more functionality and tooling than you will ever need.

Compared to your current - absolutely awful - setup the Unifi network will be a revelation and the entire lot plus a RPI can be ordered off Amazon for £300 and up and working an hour after arrival. You'll end up with nuclear powered WiFi that saturates your entire property and will still be reachable 50m down the road on your phone.

Of all IT questions I handle, this is the easiest one. Bad wifi? Can you run ethernet? Buy Unifi.