Re: [LUG] Mesh Wifi

Hey,

On Sun, May 30, 2021, at 10:24 AM, Henry Bremridge wrote:
I was thinking of upgrading our SOHO wifi and I was thinking of Mesh. My reasons

- I want a guest subnet so that visitors can use the wifi
- I want to be able to answer telephone calls as I wander around the
house (currently we have two access points and telephone calls
drop as I go from one access point to the other)
- The TV is wireless and our current Access Point is too slow.

Any recommendations.

--
Henry
Communication not signed with an original manual signature or an appropriately verified digital signature is not binding.

We have a mesh network, and it's been a right pain in the arse. Linksys Velop. It drops out frequently, and the app is pretty crap - it takes ages to load a simple settings menu, and offers very little control over the network - I think that's expected with consumer-grade networking though.

We used to have a Powerline network as well, which was alright, but also dropped out; we don't seem to have much luck!

I'm looking into Ethernet cabling, but we're not sure how destructive it'll be. As mewoski says, UnIFi is good. I did set up a TP-Link Omada AP, but the wiring was a mess (gotta love limited space... NAS server, switch etc), and it worked pretty well. The main issue was coverage upstairs.

In terms of a guest subnet, the Velop does - apparently - have a 'Guest Network', but as I've set it up in Bridge mode, as to avoid DHCP being taken over.. which did happen as soon as I set it up, I do have my doubts on the isolation of guest clients.

Wireless TV-wise - does it have an ethernet port? I'd take a look at that first. Or is it a 'stick'? We have NOW TV, and the sticks have no ethernet, and there's no adapter available that works, either. Some sticks do have ethernet support via an adapter though.

Regarding telephone calls: do you mean a DECT handset or VoIP?

Cheers.

Kind regards,
--
dom rodriguez (shymega)