Re: [LUG] Mesh Wifi

On Mon, May 31, 2021 at 10:36:54AM +0100, Eion MacDonald wrote:

> The metallic coated polystyrene acts as a Faraday cage (hence isolation
> of the two sides )  and as a 'reflector' for some signals. Thus odd
> signal strengths from different WiFi signals. This is a random unknown
> and unpredictable reflection.
>
> I would suggest you take a Ethernet cable from router over and through
> the stairwell and establish another access point on the far side.

This is the current configuration, the problem is moving across the
stairwell the wifi signal switches from one AP to the other AP (same
network name, username / pw). The android phones take time to connect
to the other AP. This reconnection is not straightforward, more often
than not, requires turning off the phone wife. Leaving it a few
minutes and then turning again

Hence my original thought was Mesh, after posting (thank you) I have a
few more solutions

-       Have one AP in the stair well, rather than one either side. The
        signal strength may just be high enough. This may require getting
        a new AP.

        Currently use Draytek 2820 wifi /router and draytek AP 810.

-       May be accepting the problems with the wifi reflection, have two
        network names and then switch manually from one to the other. This
        is effectively what we have at the moment but by enforcing it we
        might have more control.

-       Make sure both AP are on the same switch.

-       Think a bit longer and a bit harder.

--
Henry
Communication not signed with an original manual signature or an appropriately