Re: [LUG] Mesh Wifi

On Sun, May 30, 2021 at 06:53:13PM +0100, dom rodriguez (shymega) wrote:

>    We have a mesh network, and it's been a right pain in the arse. Linksys
>    Velop. It drops out frequently, and the app is pretty crap - it takes ages
>    to load a simple settings menu, and offers very little control over the
>    network - I think that's expected with consumer-grade networking though.
>    We used to have a Powerline network as well, which was alright, but also
>    dropped out; we don't seem to have much luck!
>    I'm looking into Ethernet cabling, but we're not sure how destructive
>    it'll be. As mewoski says, UnIFi is good. I did set up a TP-Link Omada AP,
>    but the wiring was a mess (gotta love limited space... NAS server, switch
>    etc), and it worked pretty well. The main issue was coverage upstairs.
>    In terms of a guest subnet, the Velop does - apparently - have a 'Guest
>    Network', but as I've set it up in Bridge mode, as to avoid DHCP being
>    taken over.. which did happen as soon as I set it up, I do have my doubts
>    on the isolation of guest clients.
>    Wireless TV-wise - does it have an ethernet port? I'd take a look at that
>    first. Or is it a 'stick'? We have NOW TV, and the sticks have no
>    ethernet, and there's no adapter available that works, either. Some sticks
>    do have ethernet support via an adapter though.
>    Regarding telephone calls: do you mean a DECT handset or VoIP?

Thank you very helpful

1.      TV awkward spot to add cable, although may have to do so at some point

2.      I use VOIP on my android which works well (home phone, business
        phone), through a aeropex bluetooth headset
        (https://aftershokz.co.uk/) I can be on the phone for 2-3 hours
        and these normally work well. In addition I have gotten rid of a
        telephone from my desk.

        I use the same headset for Zoom and conferences (just normal
        bluetooth) from my desktop.

        Moving around sometimes breaks the wifi link and if I move around
        the house (eg answering the door bell while on a conference call),
        the call can break hence my need for a stronger consistent wifi
        signal.

        Irritatingly and seemingly at random my phone picks up my other
        wifi signal rather the closer stronger one

--
Henry
Communication not signed with an original manual signature or an appropriately