Re: [LUG] Freenode

The resigned volunteers have my respect, they ought never to have been put in this position.

These are not events they've manipulated into existence. They're reacting to an undermining of freenode's legitimate administration process. freenode has been a haven on irc for a long while but that's been due to the actions of the volunteers, not to the name.

I doubt whether #DCGLUG irc users would notice any difference whether the channel stays where it is or migrates with the volunteers to libera.chat but I'd have thought the new site is now more in keeping with the channel's ethos. Once all the dust settles, #DCGLUG should make a choice rather than ending up with its users on one or other or both networks. But that might be months off.

On Thu, 20 May 2021 at 18:56, Simon Waters <simon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Thursday, 20 May 2021 16:10:18 BST Sebastian wrote:

> Does anyone here see any problem with the DCGLUG IRC channel staying on
> Freenode, and likewise does anyone on this list have opinions about
> libera.chat?

Christel use to live in Exeter, and attended a few DCGLUG meetings. I'm still
in touch with her, so I'll have a word to see what the situation is from her
perspective.

I personally don't have a strong view either way. What matters is we have real
time chat on free software, so all members who want to use it can, without
feeling they need to compromise on software freedom for those to whom that is
important.

I get the impression Jitsi gets more attention than the IRC channel, but that
may be my use of IRC tends to be very focused.