Re: [LUG] Continual network problems on Fedora 31

On 05/02/2021 10:38, Michael Everitt wrote:
> On 03/02/2021 21:58, Sebastian wrote:
>> Dear Mr. Meowski,
>>
>>> This is called multi-homing and is explicitly not an advised
>>> configuration
>>> unless you have very specific requirements and know what you're doing.
>>> A better way to approach this might be to ask what specific aim you are
>>> hoping to achieve by having two simultaneous network connections into
>>> the
>>> same subnet on a single instance? If there is no answer, you
>>> shouldn't be
>>> doing it. "Redundancy" is not a valid answer in this scenario, you'd
>>> need
>>> bonding or LACP for that along with a switch that supported it.
>> Thanks for the keywords: it is very helpful when researching things to
>> know what they are called!
>>
>> The 'redundancy' in this case was to be able to use one interface if the
>> other went down. When this problem started this was OK, but as I said
>> the issue has become progressively worse over the last few months, and
>> now even that does not usually fix it.
>>
>> If there is any speed improvement with using two interfaces then that
>> would also be nice. However, I don't think the Powerline by itself would
>> be a bottleneck, so it would be quite fine to just use that.
>>
>>> If you want the easiest fix just pull the wifi card and reset the
>>> ethernet
>>> completely, removing all your weird and incorrect configurations from
>>> it.
>> Well that was certainly easy, but I'm not so sure about the 'fix' bit!
>> I've deleted all the NetworkManager connections, unplugged the wireless
>> adapter and rebooted Fedora with only the Ethernet plugged in, with the
>> router already on. Sadly, this was clearly insufficient, because later
>> on yesterday I got the problem again.
>>
>> I pinged both 1.1.1.1 (Cloudflare) and 192.168.1.254 (the router's IP
>> address) but both of these failed with "Destination Host Unreachable". I
>> also tried a ping to duckduckgo.com and the DNS lookup failed (I have
>> two nameservers in /etc/resolv.conf, firstly Cloudflare and then
>> OpenDNS).
>>
>> Thank you for your help.
>>
>> The mystery continues!
>>
>> Best wishes,
>>
>> Sebastian
>>
>> --
>> - Freenode: 'seabass'
>> - Matrix: '@seabass:chat.weho.st'
>>
> Did Meowski's message appear on the list somewhere? if so, can someone
> re-forward it, as it appears to have got lost in the mail system
> somewhere (although may turn up some time/date Yet to be Determined!)
>
> Cheers, MJE/veremitz

I also would appreciate "The Meowski Message". He is a brilliant teacher.
I learned some facts from the reply. "Multi-homing" . which sent me on a
deep chase into finding things.
Strange how "the List" gets you into learning without a teacher.
--
Regards
Eion MacDonald