Re: [LUG] Continual network problems on Fedora 31

On 03/02/2021 21:58, Sebastian wrote:
Dear Mr. Meowski,

This is called multi-homing and is explicitly not an advised configuration
unless you have very specific requirements and know what you're doing.
A better way to approach this might be to ask what specific aim you are
hoping to achieve by having two simultaneous network connections into the
same subnet on a single instance? If there is no answer, you shouldn't be
doing it. "Redundancy" is not a valid answer in this scenario, you'd need
bonding or LACP for that along with a switch that supported it.
Thanks for the keywords: it is very helpful when researching things to
know what they are called!

The 'redundancy' in this case was to be able to use one interface if the
other went down. When this problem started this was OK, but as I said
the issue has become progressively worse over the last few months, and
now even that does not usually fix it.

If there is any speed improvement with using two interfaces then that
would also be nice. However, I don't think the Powerline by itself would
be a bottleneck, so it would be quite fine to just use that.

If you want the easiest fix just pull the wifi card and reset the ethernet
completely, removing all your weird and incorrect configurations from it.
Well that was certainly easy, but I'm not so sure about the 'fix' bit!
I've deleted all the NetworkManager connections, unplugged the wireless
adapter and rebooted Fedora with only the Ethernet plugged in, with the
router already on. Sadly, this was clearly insufficient, because later
on yesterday I got the problem again.

I pinged both 1.1.1.1 (Cloudflare) and 192.168.1.254 (the router's IP
address) but both of these failed with "Destination Host Unreachable". I
also tried a ping to duckduckgo.com and the DNS lookup failed (I have
two nameservers in /etc/resolv.conf, firstly Cloudflare and then
OpenDNS).

Thank you for your help.

The mystery continues!

Best wishes,

Sebastian

--
- Freenode: 'seabass'
- Matrix: '@seabass:chat.weho.st'

Did Meowski's message appear on the list somewhere? if so, can someone re-forward it, as it appears to have got lost in the mail system somewhere (although may turn up some time/date Yet to be Determined!)

Cheers, MJE/veremitz