Re: [LUG] Continual network problems on Fedora 31

On 02/02/2021 18:20, maceion@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

On 02/02/2021 17:58, Michael Everitt wrote:
Check you're on the same PHYSICAL ELECTRICAL circuit
Two floors in our house.
Electrics are separated by floor at switch-box/circuit breaker
One set: - downstairs Electric power points and UPstairs lights
Second set: - UPstairs Electric power points and downstairs lights

Power line transmission does not work from Router downstairs via
downstairs power point ethernet inlet from router
to an upstairs power point to an ethernet cable to second computer.

(Gave up on it some 3 years ago, after a number of experiments, to try
to improve on the then (bad[*]) WiFi downstairs to upstairs.)
So now no ethernet over power lines used.

[*] WiFi worked but occasionally failed,or lost contact, but not safely
enough to use for updating OSs or downloading 'critical files'.

My experience with Powerline - we have two power boxes in our house, a main one for powering the original house, and a secondary, which I assume provides the fusing for the extension. I have powerline throughout, including in the extension - lower bandwidths are experienced there, but connection is good.

The Powerline installation lacks certain IEEE / IETF Ethernet capabilities, I tried running 802.1q over it, and found that all Powerline adapters just stripped the 802.1q tag, and treated all traffic as being on the same subnet. Thus it became a luck of the draw on a DHCP response for a host that directly connected into the Powerline network. So I reduced Powerline to just the Wifi subnet, usually it is OK, but if we have am extended powercut, then I need to (a long process), re-pair each and every adapter by setting it to factory defaults and adding it to the main adapter that is positioned connected to the Internet router.