Re: [LUG] New Printer

On 01/11/2020 20:47, Eion MacDonald wrote:
On 01/11/2020 17:10, Brad Rogers wrote:
On Sun, 1 Nov 2020 15:47:54 +0000
Neil <barnaby@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello Neil,

I think that I must somehow remove all reference to the printer from my
computer, somehow, and start over. Now I just have to work out how to

That really shouldn't be necessary.

In CUPS, just find the printer, then select Edit Device, and proceed
from there.

Blinking wifi LED - check manual and see what that says.  But here, it
means the device is (re)starting, or searching for a device to connect
to.  It should return to steady state.  If not, ensure your router still
has wifi on.

You can also check wifi status on the printer's control panel or web
page.

Printer drivers are NOT individual to each printer.
(Big waste of software expenditure)
  Manufacturers make them to suit a range of printers so all HP6xxxx
printers will share the same printer driver.
Example I use OKIB431dn printer , Linux printer drivers give a range of
drivers than it can use: from "Generic", to Oki B200xx, B250xx, B300xx,
  B350xx, All of these work with the B431  so I can load any OR
download the OKI Linux driver for that B series as a file.

Your 6000 driver is probably suitable for all 6xxxx printers.

When I first set it up, the entry in CUPS seemed to refer to the exact printer, 6032. Now it just refers to the 6000 series.

I am seriously considering giving up on this printer and buying another Envy model. Only this time I will make sure that it is not a recent one, and I will check the HP list to make sure that it is there. And, if it is an older one, perhaps I can set it up from my computer and not need all the nonsense with my smart phone.

When I used it this morning, the blue light did keep on flashing, but at least it printed out what I wanted. So all is not lost. But obviously something is not right.

Oh and the wifi on my router is fine. My previous printer worked on wifi and it was seen easily from my laptop. It was also seen from my wife's laptop, without any work on my part. Now the laptops just do not see it.

Obviously it is still not

Neil