Re: [LUG] Up For Grabs!

On 05/08/20 12:52, Julian Hall wrote:
> On 05/08/2020 11:22, Eion MacDonald wrote:

>>> The OS (whichever flavour) as opposed to an application.
>>>
>>> Julian
>>>
>> Ah! An "oldies problem"
>> Many of my old pupils think Microsoft Word is "Windows".
>>
>> Part of teaching is to introduce four terms to them.
>>
>> "Windows OS" or "Windows Operating System" is the Engine of the computer.
>>
>> "MS Word is a "Application" that is used, like a 'Markable paper road
>> map", you use and change or use and save. Likewise LibreOffice Writer or
>> "email sub system"
>>
>> "Linux OS" or "Linux Distribution" is just another engine for the car.
>>
>> The "Computer" is the car parts or body less engine, to be repaired if
>> faulty.
>>
>> So they learn to say Windows OS, Linux OS, XXX  Application.
>> I also give a wee sentence that "Linux" is the trade mark of Linus and
>> how one man's 'giving' of software without patent burden has transformed
>> their lives.
>
> I've been involved with IT over 30 years; I know the difference. That is
> /why/ I said Linux, and not GIMP or Libre Office etc; I felt it was
> extraneous to say Linux OS or Windows OS when we all know Linux and
> Windows are OSs. To clarify again, when I install the operating systems -
> either Linux or Windows - the installation is bloated by drivers and/or
> languages I do not use and most likely never will.
>
> Julian

Then you're using the wrong distro. I've long touted Ubuntu as the
'windows' of Linux, which is to say, the out-the-box experience is simple,
since it's "batteries included". If you want something more minimal, you
have plenty of choices .. I use Gentoo, and the basic "install" is a
compiler, python and the package manager! This is the beauty of Linux - the
core 'part' is just the kernel, anything on top of that is entirely up to
you ...