Re: [LUG] Up For Grabs!

On 03/08/2020 13:38, David Bell wrote:
On Mon, 3 Aug 2020 13:01:19 +0100
Brad Rogers <brad@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Mon, 3 Aug 2020 12:47:29 +0100
David Bell <grimpen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello David,

One thing hasn't changed. Despite the fact that major printer
manufacturers do now provide linux drivers, they are rarely included
in most distro's.
That's probably due to licensing issues, since not all companies
release their drivers under a suitable license.  For example, many
such things are in Non-Free (if they're there at all) in Debian
because of said issues.

Hello Brad,

This doesn't explain why there are large gaps in CUPS listed drivers
for most of the manufacturers. Are the manufacturers being selective in
their licencing of drivers for particular models and yet many provide
them free to download? Surely it is in their interest to be able to sell
printers - not just to MS Windows users.

David

- - - -
W. Devon

What does get on my nerves frequently is the lack of customisation in OS installers in general. In Windows I don't want the bloat of hundreds of hardware drivers I will /never/ use, e.g. SCSI drivers. Linux installs every language and locale under the sun; I speak /one/ language - British English. When configuring the country - locale, keyboard etc - just install /that/ language. Yes I know I can remove them later but the point is they shouldn't be there to need uninstalling.

On the subject of drivers, I have posted previously about my HP Officejet 4655. It's an All In One, and the printer side works but the scanner will not. I have to use the terminal to load SANE and push the uri for the scanner at SANE. It's a menace because I can no longer just scan into GIMP; I have to load the terminal, remember the command - usually months later - load SANE, scan and save the image, load GIMP, load the image and then /finally/ work with the image.

Online fora suggest it's the latest version of HPLIP at fault, but it doesn't want to roll back. Is there a SANE config file I can manually alter to tell it where the scanner is?

Julian

--
“The great tragedy of Science — the slaying of a beautiful hypothesis by an ugly
fact.”

― Thomas Henry Huxley