Re: [LUG] Up For Grabs!

On 04/08/2020 22:42, Julian Hall wrote:
> On 04/08/2020 12:48, Brad Rogers wrote:
>> On Mon, 3 Aug 2020 23:01:14 +0100
>> Julian Hall <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> Hello Julian,
>>
>>> No, Linux itself. I have to keep removing them before backups.
>> Either you're not explaining yourself well, or I'm simply not
>> understanding what you mean;  The term 'linux', used like that, is
>> simply too vague to have any meaning.
>
> The OS (whichever flavour) as opposed to an application.
>
> Julian

Ah! An "oldies problem"
Many of my old pupils think Microsoft Word is "Windows".

Part of teaching is to introduce four terms to them.

"Windows OS" or "Windows Operating System" is the Engine of the computer.

"MS Word is a "Application" that is used, like a 'Markable paper road
map", you use and change or use and save. Likewise LibreOffice Writer or
"email sub system"

"Linux OS" or "Linux Distribution" is just another engine for the car.

The "Computer" is the car parts or body less engine, to be repaired if
faulty.

So they learn to say Windows OS, Linux OS, XXX  Application.
I also give a wee sentence that "Linux" is the trade mark of Linus and
how one man's 'giving' of software without patent burden has transformed
their lives.

--
regards
Eion MacDonald