Re: [LUG] ExeLinux

On 11/07/2020 11:13, Eion MacDonald wrote:
> On 11/07/2020 09:28, Mark Andrew Smith via list wrote:

>>> Maybe I should backup a bit to say that I mean no slight to David Hare
>>> and his distro (I'm going to have to bloody testdrive it now of course)
>>> and I'm pleased that it even exists. Paul to be fair was probably only
>>> commenting on it in the first place because it's a local bit of linux
>>> news - which is uncommon itself - and this is actually a localised linux
>>> resource as well, being a LUG! Now in retrospect I actually feel dumb
>>> for even responding so negatively - what else is a LUG for if not
>>> mentioning occasional localised linux news after all?
>>>
>>> So apologies all round I guess. I was a bit flatfooted by the idea that
>>> any utility was served by a linux distro being maintained locally though
>>> and I stick to that. Seriously, what are you planning to do if you need
>>> help with exegnulinux (entirely possible as there's a lot that can go
>>> wrong if it's one man's pet project)? Pop around to his house for a cuppa?!
>>>
>>> That makes no sense to me, I don't want a one man bottleneck anywhere.
>>> Call me crazy but I'll stick to using mainstream distro releases built
>>> by entire international teams of professionals with massive communities
>>> available for help 24/7. If my Arch/CentOS/Debian/Ubuntu/etc distros
>>> play up my sources for information and help are vast - that bloke around
>>> the corner's one-man livecd? Not so much. What if he's gone on holiday
>>> for a month?!
>>>
>>> Now because fair is fair I'm going to try it out in a VM. I'm going to
>>> be furious if I end up liking it :]
>>>

>> Mr Meowski, meet Mr Torvalds.
>> One-man pet-projects sometimes grow to more than one man.
>>

> Concur.

Well I posted the link because the project was local to us,  it is nice
to see something happening in Devon.

As for the purpose,  why not?,  when I first joined the lug I along with
others were encouraged to install, learn and experiment. Second Lug meet
a few of the members spent most of the day getting Half life working on
Linux, did it eventually, but lots of fun / and I guess frustration
along the way.

Sure there are lots of custom distributions out there, but isn't that
the whole point,   you get the distro / features you want and need. For
others the purpose is the challenge and the creation of your own desktop
system. Maybe to tick it off a list of things you want to do.

I am sure to encourage the next generation,  we need to encourage
experimentation and risk taking, setting goals and achieving them.
Making mistakes and then keeping going, develops resilience,  asking for
help in the right is a skill, as is trying to find the answers via
search within all the outdated how_tos and mass of information you find.

Paul
--
Paul Sutton
https://personaljournal.ca/paulsutton/