Re: [LUG] ExeLinux

On 11/07/2020 00:21, Simon Waters wrote:
On Friday, 10 July 2020 21:38:03 BST comrade meowski wrote:

Lol who cares? That's why we have the internet in the first place.

Bootable distro maintainer close to my house, I can see uses for that; some
people are never happy.

The thing about flavours is if they don't suit don't order them.

I'm guessing that since it hasn't over taken Mint or Debian, there isn't
compelling demand to escape systemd in bootable images, but if no one offers
the choice how will we know if the "systemd is evil" crowd are just moaners
like me, or serious?

Maybe I should backup a bit to say that I mean no slight to David Hare and his distro (I'm going to have to bloody testdrive it now of course) and I'm pleased that it even exists. Paul to be fair was probably only commenting on it in the first place because it's a local bit of linux news - which is uncommon itself - and this is actually a localised linux resource as well, being a LUG! Now in retrospect I actually feel dumb for even responding so negatively - what else is a LUG for if not mentioning occasional localised linux news after all?

So apologies all round I guess. I was a bit flatfooted by the idea that any utility was served by a linux distro being maintained locally though and I stick to that. Seriously, what are you planning to do if you need help with exegnulinux (entirely possible as there's a lot that can go wrong if it's one man's pet project)? Pop around to his house for a cuppa?!

That makes no sense to me, I don't want a one man bottleneck anywhere. Call me crazy but I'll stick to using mainstream distro releases built by entire international teams of professionals with massive communities available for help 24/7. If my Arch/CentOS/Debian/Ubuntu/etc distros play up my sources for information and help are vast - that bloke around the corner's one-man livecd? Not so much. What if he's gone on holiday for a month?!

Now because fair is fair I'm going to try it out in a VM. I'm going to be furious if I end up liking it :]