Re: [LUG] Wife's computer SSH?

On 13/02/2020 08:30, Neil wrote:
On 12/02/2020 21:38, Brad Rogers wrote:
On Wed, 12 Feb 2020 20:40:14 +0000
Simon Avery <digdilem@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello Simon,

Ahem. ssh accounts for about 90% of my working life...   Adminning
multiple linux machines without ssh is going to be... tricky.

I was assuming single user, at home.  I forgot that several (many?) of
the ppl here do this all day long.

Mea Culpa.

Exactly, use case matters. I have my desktop computer upstairs. My wife has her laptop downstairs. My daughter has her own laptop too. She lives a few miles away.

If I need to sort anything out with any of those computers I do so on the actual machine itself. So I have absolutely no need to use SSH. I certainly do not have anything to do with any other computer anywhere.

Neil

The use case I envisage is when the networked hardware is intended to run headless, sans keyboard and monitor. For instance four uses for a Raspberry Pi; a Kodi box to turn an old TV into a Smart TV at a fraction of the cost of a new TV; CCTV camera network operation; playing with programming e.g. Python; computer / console emulators e.g. Sinclair Spectrum, Playstation etc. Two would be impossible to administer directly in situ (Smart TV and CCTV) and the other two would just be a pain to swap everything over all the time.

Of course these are very specific uses and not something many people would do, almost certainly not all of them for the same person - but then I am odd! *lol*

Julian