Re: [LUG] Diasporia

On Wed, Jul 10, 2019 at 05:02:49PM +0100, Jon Davey via list wrote:

> Hmmm, yes. You couldn't say the demographic represented the wider population by
> any means. There seems to have been this appetite for something different to
> Facebook for such a long time yet without any real conviction on behalf of those
> people. I'm thinking this is just because so many are so deeply invested in
> Facebook now. Which has both it's pros and cons.

I think quite a few people are moving away from facebook. I had an account for 10
years, but closed it a couple of years back. Since then, quite a few other people I
know have done the same (unprompted by me).

Of course, it's still the world's biggest social media site. But, interestingly, I
have a lot of contact with school kids and university students, and they barely use
facebook. It's all (1) instagram, (2) twitter.

In my professional life (I'm a university academic) the key social medium everyone
uses professionally is Twitter.

So, if you're keen to move away from facebook, but are worried about the lack of
discoverability on the fediverse, twitter may be one option, depending on your
audience.

Of course, others may have different views on this :-)

@ajwills72