Re: [LUG] Diasporia

On 10/07/2019 17:12, Jon Davey via list wrote:
>> On 10 July 2019 at 13:44 Paul Sutton <zleap@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>

>> On 09/07/2019 20:50, Jon Davey via list wrote:
>>> Hi everyone, just a quick gathering of the consensus concerning alt-social media
>>> site 'Diasporia'. Is there one (a consensus) ? What do you make of it ?
>>> Cheers, Jon
>>>

>> Hi
>>
>> In terms of this,  you may find https://fediverse.party/ useful to give
>> some information on the various services, that are federated,  You are
>> free to set up your own instance of for example friendica, mastodon,
>> diaspora etc,  this gives you full control,    You can add people who
>> are on other services as this is the power of federation.
>>
>> Different services replace common proprietary solutions, gnusocial is
>> more like twitter ( Matt Lee can explain far more about this )
>>
>> Each of these also have common features,k such as posting status
>> updates, support for adding photos or videos,  calendars, etc.  Sites
>> such as peertube offer a replacement for youtube,
>>

>> However I think the point of all these alternatives is mostly privacy,
>> user control and user ownership of content, as in you upload a video you
>> keep control of it rather than giving the bigger entities the right to
>> use your content as they wish)
>>
>> Hope this helps
>>

>> Paul
>>
>> --
>> Paul Sutton
>> http://www.zleap.net
>> https://www.linkedin.com/in/zleap/
>> gnupg : 7D6D B682 F351 8D08 1893  1E16 F086 5537 D066 302D
>>
> thanks Paul, there was an instance recently where some people had organised a free
> gathering using Facebook that got shut down by the authorities because Facebook
> had informed them of it. This was just a group of people who do want to pay
> exorbitant prices for the more commercial festivals and had applied the D.I.Y.
> ethic, yet they got arrested. This provoked the desire to move for myself. But I
> will probably use both if I'm honest.
> Jon

There is a facility to pull in posts from Facebook and other commercial
offerings I don't know much about this,  I am subscribed to a few rss
feeds from Friendi.ca so as well as my blog,  the dcglug blog,  I am
subscribed to the Raspberry Pi feed, so any new stories appear on my
network.

It may not be perfect,  there are issues but a quick message and advice
is given.

More info on Friendi.ca features

Friendi.ca facebook sync
https://github.com/friendica/friendica/wiki/How-to:-Friendica%E2%80%99s-Facebook-connector

Mastodon hosting https://masto.host/

May be helpful,  the 2nd link may be too, some  of the instances have
this already, others don't, run you're own you have the choice,

Paul

>> --

Paul Sutton
http://www.zleap.net
gnupg : 7D6D B682 F351 8D08 1893  1E16 F086 5537 D066 302D

https://fediverse.party/ - zleap@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx