Re: [LUG] Diasporia

On 10/07/2019 18:12, Andy Wills wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 10, 2019 at 05:02:49PM +0100, Jon Davey via list wrote:
>
>> Hmmm, yes. You couldn't say the demographic represented the wider population by
>> any means. There seems to have been this appetite for something different to
>> Facebook for such a long time yet without any real conviction on behalf of those
>> people. I'm thinking this is just because so many are so deeply invested in
>> Facebook now. Which has both it's pros and cons.
> I think quite a few people are moving away from facebook. I had an account for 10
> years, but closed it a couple of years back. Since then, quite a few other people
> I know have done the same (unprompted by me).
>
> Of course, it's still the world's biggest social media site. But, interestingly, I
> have a lot of contact with school kids and university students, and they barely
> use facebook. It's all (1) instagram, (2) twitter.
>
> In my professional life (I'm a university academic) the key social medium everyone
> uses professionally is Twitter.
>
> So, if you're keen to move away from facebook, but are worried about the lack of
> discoverability on the fediverse, twitter may be one option, depending on your
> audience.
>
> Of course, others may have different views on this :-)
>
> @ajwills72

I am on twitter but have locked it down so I need to approve followers I
think.  I don't think Facebooks days are numbered just yet but people
are moving away or not joining.

I try and post various things to twitter such as the tech jam,  if you
post when the dcglug meets are and tag me n @zleap2018. I will retweet,
I also try and tweet in @DevonHour.

I will try and tweet the next lug meet in N Devon on Sunday.

Like with anything it is only as active as the people on it,  BTW have
posted the next 4 lug meets (July & August) to the friendi.ca page
https://social.isurf.ca/profile/dcglug

The fact there are not many people on there does not matter,  it is on
there for those who are, and anyone who joins sees content and can
interact with it.

Paul

--
Paul Sutton