Re: [LUG] Re-subscription and hello.

On 08/07/2019 23:25, Jon Davey via list wrote:

>> free as in open, not free as in beeris often misunderstood:
>>
>> Open source isnt a tool for the masses. its an epic swiss army knife for people
>> that do real shit with software. Average people should buy a mac, a chromebook or
>> an android device! They are simply not equipped with the capacity to deal with
>> real opensource tools unless they actually want to learn. and thats where we help
>> .... but we are not pc world support! We expect people to RTFM and google until
>> they’re eyes bleed. :)

> ...er, how do I reply to this then...top or bottom lol. Well I guess you havn't
> noticed the way that the open source community ethos aligns with other kinds of
> thinking. We'll pretend that isn't a thing then. I would have thought you would be
> enthused that I am advocating the use of OS software. I am a bit of a computer
> dunce yet I have installed and ran a Linux distribution. Also there ate things
> like email clients that can be used on other, non Linux platforms, that I had hped
> the list would be interested in promoting the widespread use of. But clearly not.
> Fair enough. Thanks for the warm welcome friendly OS partner.

You've both made a lot of assumptions here - JB doesn't speak for anyone
except himself and I politely disagree with pretty much everything he
said. He's confused Free Software with Open Source just for a start,
insulted "average" people (whoever they are) and arbitrarily raised the
bar too high for questions as others immediately pointed out - n00b
questions are fine. Bad JB!

On the other hand you seem surprised that the prospect of another well
meaning but naive beginning Linux and opensource enthusiast confusing a
Linux mailing list for the Jeremy Corbyn fan club hasn't filled us with
unbridled joy. Bad JD!

Polite differences of opinion are generally dealt with very well on this
list fortunately - avoid personal dramas and insults and generally all
will be well. Anyone who wants to speak up about something generally
should feel free to do so I guess - but then I don't speak for everyone
either so please don't confuse anything I've written for the "actual rules".

I'd avoid making sweeping generalisations about people's choice of tools
- it generally says more about you than the person or the tool. Some of
us have work to do and will use the right tool for the job regardless of
misplaced ideological claptrap - depending on the context an iPhone,
Windows 10 or even Linux might be suitable.

This isn't A Rule either, just common sense in the service of
legibility: post at the BOTTOM for god's sake and clean up block quoting
and walls of text if possible. It's like walking on the left - god
didn't ordain it but it makes everything a mess as soon as one snowflake
decides to not bother with convention. Text directionality is important
and we read downwards.

Welcome aboard comrade.