Re: [LUG] USB stick does not display

On 27/03/2019 09:02, Neil wrote:
> I have not upgraded the kernels at all.
>
> What puzzles me is that I am having the same problem on both my desk top
> computer and my laptop. The desktop is running Linux Lite with kernel
> 4.4.0-138-generic.
>
> The laptop is running MX Linux with kernel 4.15.0-1-amd64. Yet they both
> fail to display anything from any of my sticks, except just the one.
> This one works on both. They both work fine with the external HD.

It's very difficult to see what could be the problem here although it's
clearly likely to be either:

A: you have genuinely somehow wiped all but one but of your USB drives
B: there's a common problem between your two linux systems

B seems considerably more likely but who knows? Ideally you'd have a
different known good system to check the USB sticks on. Test to see if
there is a common thread somewhere - are the "blank" drives actually
blank or are your linux systems simply not reading them correctly? Is it
only effecting MBR partitioned disks or GPT? Missing filesystem support?

Also both of your system are running old kernels - it's not necessarily
connected of course but there's no good reason to be using stuff that
conservative when MX are shipping considerably newer kernels by default.

Cheers